Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Witch Hazel

I stumbled upon this fabulous yellow blossomed tree in the park this morning.  Blooming several weeks before the Forsythia, and based on the flower, my first guess would have been Witch Hazel, except I thought it bloomed in late fall.  Some sleuthing ensued.  First at the NatureScaping plant sale, where the park environmentalists guessed some sort of Chinese ornamental.  I told them it was growing in the wild, and they told me that this area of the park was reclaimed from an old home, built in the early 1900s, that was sitting in the flood plain.  So the tree, or maybe its ancestor, was planted at this home a long time ago.  On my way home I made a stop at Yard and Garden Land for some supplies, and sitting at the entrance to the nursery was my little yellow blooming tree: Chinese Witch Hazel! Mystery solved.  As of this morning I'm obsessed with this plant. I want to go back and buy it.  I love the idea of cheery yellow blossoms in the winter. But where to plant it?  I should wait this year and give it some thought, maybe...

4 comments:

Linda W. said...

What a great find!

merlecolibri said...

"Hamamelis mollis" is a wonderful winter beauty * plant in sunny or half shadow ;)

george said...

In a Michigan arboretum I saw an Asian variety with bigger flowers and blooming in the early spring. Beautiful photo.

Electric | Journal said...

The witch hazel is so beautiful, sheltered under the trees in the woods. I always enjoy walking through the Arboretum near the University of Washington this time of year; there are many varieties there to brighten up a winter's day.