Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Monday, August 28, 2017

Shadow Play

Hundreds of little eclipse shadows filtering through the trees, as the moon starts to get out of the way.  I read that the tree leaves are working as a pinhole camera, and that this is not unique to eclipse lighting; that we are always seeing little suns in effect, filtering through the tree light, but they show up as round spots which seems rather nondescript.  Could be.  It's something I will try to pay more attention to.  At the very least I would say that whatever light normally filters through the trees looks so usual as to not attract any attention at all.  For me at least. These eclipse shadows were something that we noticed when my family observed a partial eclipse in California a few years ago, so we were looking forward to observing it again this time.  The other thing we noticed, which was also repeated in last week's eclipse, was that you can see individual hairs on your head in shadow.  I wanted to photograph that too, but it seemed like I could only see them as I was walking.  Every time I stopped to take a photo, the detailed shadows disappeared. 

2 comments:

Linda W. said...

Yep, those are the shadows I saw too, but I didn't realize at the time they were being caused by the eclipse. Wish I would've thought to take some photos.

Sketchbook Wandering said...

Melissa, this is amazing!!! Wondrous! It is where art (yours), nature, science, & little miracles all come together! Thank you!