Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Friday, January 24, 2014

Hazelnut Orchard

When I first started seeing the hazelnut orchards yesterday near McMinnville I thought the yellow color was coming from last year's leaves still hanging on the trees.  But after talking to some local farmers I learned that the hazelnut trees are actually in bloom right now.  The yellow are the tassel parts of the bloom.  The trees require cross-pollination to bloom, so I guess there are different varieties planted in the same field, and they rely on wind for the pollination.  Very windy yesterday, so maybe they'll get a bumper crop this year.  I ended up liking this orchard near the top of Dundee Hills, backlit in the early morning light.  Although I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to learn that this was what hazelnut blooming looks like.  Guess I'll have to drive back to the Hood River Valley apple and pear orchards this spring if I want some orchard blossom photos this spring.

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

almost like feathers! pretty! had no idea...

Folkways Note Book said...

Beautiful patterns and light -- barbara

Gail Dixon said...

The light is gorgeous!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

Just amazing in so many respects!! It makes me feel very good, comforted somehow...