Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Pineapple Express

I'm constantly learning these West Coast weather terms.  Last year in California I learned the term for a ribbon of wet weather originating in the Pacific Ocean, 'Atmospheric River.'  This year there's a new term for this weather system, 'Pineapple Express.'  As near as I can tell, a Pineapple Express is an Atmospheric River that originates in Hawaii.  Either way, it means wet weather for a while.  This system happened to coincide with especially cold weather so that's why we got all this snow.  Today it's icy as well, and I'm working on getting a shot of one of the hummingbirds (so I don't have to leave the house).  Our Pineapple Express will continue through the week, but it will turn back to rain tonight or tomorrow. 

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a californian blogger used that term today. :)

(yes, the collared-doves are very invasive and spreading quickly).

Sketchbook Wandering said...

It seems that the weather forecasting idustry has invented a whole new vocabulary in recent times! ...the snow is giving you a lot to work with, I see...

Lynette said...

Another fine photo, Melissa. The strangest term I've heard our weather-casters use, scour down. At the moment, I can't think of an exact example of its use, even after having heard it since 2006, that's how nonsensical it strikes me.

Lynette said...

OK, let's see if I can remember this correctly. Matt Z., weatherman on KGW, just now said that the computer models scour out the cold wind faster than they actually might go away so they are not as reliable as they could be. Something like that. See what I mean about nonsensical? To me, to scour out means to clean out/clear out, but I'd never think of using the term to describe anything remotely weather related. More like a dirty, stained cooking pot or a clogged drain pipe, maybe even an artery that needs to be cleared out. Am I crazy, please? Thanks!

Folkways Note Book said...

Ahh -- I am learning from you all the correct Pacific Northwest weather colloquialisms. Yesterday was one big skating rink around here in the early morn. Looking forward to rain to chase the ice away completely -- barbara

Gail Dixon said...

My daughter sent video from Portland. Her dog was having quite the time navigating the deep snow, so unusual for that area. Be safe!