Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 17

This was taken at the farmer's market in Olympia. It's quite a bit different from the Oakland Co. farmer's market where the farmers back their trucks up to the stalls at 6am. This market doesn't open until 10am, but once it does it's really bustling. It's much more hip and organic and colorful. I was looking to get a photo that showed the feel of the market and gave a sense of the business. So I made a really slow shutter speed (one second in this case) to show movement. I used the shutter release timer set to 10 seconds to keep the camera steady and also so people wouldn't be waiting for me to take the shot when really I was wanting them to move through the shot. This meant that the photo would actually be taken 10 seconds in the future, and a lot can change in that time so it gave the whole thing a really random feel. This elderly lady stepped right into the center of my frame and slowly peered into her bag of apples just at the right moment. I love the blur of movement on the right, because it really exaggerates the deliberateness of her apple check.

1 comment:

Bill Leady said...

I love the color and the motion in this photo - what a fun palce!