Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mossy Understory

I decided that the yellowish brown leaves are big leaf maple, although the leaf shape varies a little bit from my book.  There's quite a bit of variation in what I'm seeing on the ground too, with the smaller leaves the size of an outstretched hand, and the largest of the leaves probably a foot across.  The moss-covered branches are a pretty common sight in woods around here. My friend from Olympia calls them monkey tail branches, but when I did an image search with that name, a completely different tree comes up.  It seems like there should be a name for these understory branches. Anyway, I remember struggling with this moss green color when I first started the blog and was living in Olympia.  The green just overwhelms the photo and casts a tint on everything!  Back at the beginning of the year, I talked about wanting to really learn Photoshop this year.  I do feel like I've learned some things, but finally decided to sign up for a class.  One of the things I hope to learn is how to tame this green a little without losing the sense of lushness.

No comments: