Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Out In the Field

I visited Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm later in the morning when the light was getting too bright for photography, but I had pretty good luck with these rows of red and white tulips; I'm not sure why, but the light doesn't look too harsh in these photos.  Yesterday's was taken from the opposite direction, with the sun almost directly facing the red flowers, while in today's photo the flowers are backlit. I think this photo really shows the state of the field, with some rows in bloom and others preparing.   One thing I learned about tulip fields that really surprised me is that they dig up the bulbs every year and replant them in the fall, rotating locations of the different varieties to help with disease, insects, erosion, etc. and they cut all flowers before any petals drop, also to prevent disease. There were lots of workers in the field when I was there on Monday. I just never considered the extent to which tulip field maintenance is a year round job!  

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful!

and a lot of work!

Folkways Note Book said...

Very nice shot -- never knew the care that went into growing fields of tulips. -- barbara

Gail Dixon said...

Melissa, the depth of field is so yummy. Excellent image!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

So fresh, so interesting! I have fond memories of tulip fields in Holland, haven't seen any in US...