Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fall in the Walnut Orchard

Here's the companion photo to yesterday's almond orchard.  That photo inspired me to drive my old orchard loop through Winters.  Very different lighting, but then our weather has cleared.  The walnut trees are a lot bigger, and all have that huge graft at the bottom.  All the harvesting went on last month, so now is the time to get fresh walnuts, if you're a fan of them like I am.  They're a great source of Omega-3, but not that stable, so if you do buy walnuts it's really important to buy this year's crop, and to store them in the freezer to preserve their freshness.  And while I'm venturing into food blogger territory, I would also advice soaking them overnight in salt water.  This will deactivate enzyme-inhibitors which sometimes make nuts hard for people to digest.  Enjoy!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, this and the almond orchard are wonderful. It amazes me daily when I see my home through your eyes! I was always allergic as were my children, so when we saw the orchards it was through attacks of sneezing, wheezing, and swollen eyes. Beautiful angle on this shot. Thank you, again.