Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Monday, July 23, 2012

Star of the Garden

How is it that my zucchini plant is growing a zucchini a day?  Each morning I go out to inspect the garden, and pick a zucchini, thinking I won't need to pick another for a few days.  And the next day, I do just the same thing!  And don't get me wrong, I love zucchini, but I've never had such an amazingly prolific plant.  (Is prolific the right word here?)  When you include the fact that we get a bag of zucchini in our weekly CSA box, it's all I can do to keep up.  Last year I went to a book talk by a local author, Spring Warren.  She wrote a book titled The Quarter Acre Farm: How I Kept the Patio, Lost the Lawn and Fed My Family for a Year.  I'm going to start employing one of her zucchini strategies this week: run some of my zucchinis through the food processor, and shape them into zucchini pucks on a cookie sheet.  Freeze the pucks and store them in the freezer for a quick addition to winter meals. 

No comments: