Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Don't Go in After Them!

It turns out that the name Preston Castle is a bit of a euphemism.  It was built in the 1890s as a home for wayward boys.  Called the Preston School of Industry, it was operational until 1960, when a new facility was built.  Then for 40 years it was left to decay and vandalism.  It's been taken over by a preservation foundation, that runs fund-raising events like Photographer's Day.  I didn't know any of this until I arrived.  I actually thought I was going to a castle!  And let me just say that, while a few of the rooms could maybe be a little charming, the creepiness factor is off the charts here!  I was given a safetly briefing when I entered, and among the things I was told...and I'm not kidding here... was that if I saw a fellow photographer fall through the floor, I shouldn't go in after them, but should call a docent.  Or maybe it was call 911, I honestly wasn't paying attention at that point.  My mind completely stopped listening at "Don't go in after them!"  Seriously!  Has someone actually done that???

No comments: