Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Valley of the Moon

Today was my recon through Sonoma Valley, or as I learned today, Valley of the Moon.  When I first saw this nickname I had to chuckle.  I was imagining it came about in some New Age sit-in.  A quick web search suggests that the name is quite a bit older, dating back to the 1850s and likely coming from a Native American term for the valley.  It turns out there's a book by Sonoma native Jack London called Valley of the Moon that makes this claim.  I found this valley very interesting in comparison to Napa Valley.  Sonoma has a much more "rolling hills dry California" feel to me, and Napa seems much more lush and more flat in the valley.  Anyway, it was pretty, and a fun recon.  I'm looking forward to getting back here soon, and hopefully in different light.

No comments: