Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 25

This watermelon field was being harvested this morning.  It was pretty neat to watch.  A conveyer belt picked up the melons and sent them through a turbine in the back that just tore them to shreds and spat out watermelon guts.  I really couldn't figure it out at first, but then the guy working there told me that they were actually harvesting the seeds!  All these melons are way over-ripe, so I guess that's when the seeds are best.  In the background of the photo you can sort of see some of the harvested rows; it's pretty blurry because I used my lowest aperture and just focused on the front melon with the yellow skin.  The red areas in the upper left are the leftover watermelon shells.
f/5.6, 1/100, 200mm

No comments: