Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Friday, August 6, 2010

August 6

We went to the Arboretum at UC Davis today at lunchtime because there was supposed to be an outdoor lunch concert going on (that we never found by the way).  And high noon is not a time I would usually be out with my camera.  I just stopped to take a photo of these flowers because I liked the color and I liked that it would be repeating in the background with the yellow larch tree.  The little hummingbird just happned to show up then, so that was lucky.  This shot caught the hummingbird in a nice profile.  I can't tell what kind it is, and I have no idea what the flowering plant is either.  The base looks like an aloe or agave plant, then this bamboo-like stem shoots straight up from the center and the flowers all come out of this one stem.  I'd say the flowers were 12-15 feet above the plant!  It was pretty odd looking really.  I've got to pick up a book listing native plants! 

f/5, 1/200, ISO200, 200mm, vivid, polarizer

No comments: