Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 17

So I have some issues with this photo, I'll admit.  But I'm going to start with what I like about it.  I like the composition.  And the subject matter.  Luna has always loved a box, and we placed boxes around the house before we went on vacation so she could have fun while we were gone.  I also like that she's actually looking at me, because she doesn't like having her photo taken.  I think she's actually worried about Clover, who was loping around the corner with her cone of shame, banging into furniture and corners.  Luna is ready to spring if Clover gets too close.

What don't I like?  The ISO.  I have a similar photo of Luna from last year, and my shutter speed was 1/10, which is too slow without a tripod, and it showed.  I've been slowly working my way through the Todd and Brad Reed 365 Project (see Referenced Links on right).  I'm noticing that they often bump the ISO up pretty high, and yet I can't see it at all in the photos.  In fact there's a rose hip photo that hangs on their studio wall, probably 24x36, and the ISO on that shot is 1000!  So I'm trying to get comfortable with making ISO adjustments to compensate for low light.  My settings, however, are f/4.5, 1/60, ISO3200, 55mm.  3200 worked the other day on my photo of Daisy's Woods, but it doesn't work so well here.  I don't like the shadow to the left of Luna, and I don't like Luna's coat. 

No comments: