Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 15

Ok, so I have a lot to say about this one.  When I first moved here last year I was really confounded by the summer sky.  I've said it's like the movie, Groundhog's Day.  Everyday the same flat blue cloudless sky.  And from a photographer's perspective this is difficult.  Clouds help a photo.  So I found myself cutting the sky out of the photo all the time, which bothered me.  Then I noticed some artists in Sacramento who paint scenes around here and they leave a large part of their canvas flat blue.  I thought it was a really strong use of negative space.  Plus this is actually how it looks around here. So making a strong photo that shows the sky was on my photo bucket list this summer.  Enter the hot air balloons.  So far this year they've been blowing towards Vacaville, but today they came my way.  And I took A LOT of photos.  I chose this one because it's got the most sky, and the sky color came out really nice.  f/11 at 1/800, ISO400, 112mm.

No comments: