Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Thursday, September 29, 2011

September 29

What a lucky shot for me.  This is a Great Egret, not to be confused with the Snowy Egret which has a black beak and yellow legs.  I do often see them hanging out in fields or right at the edge of fields where the irrigation ditches are.  And yes I've tried photographing them before but they're never in good lighting or a nice backdrop.  I stopped at a red light this morning and here was this bird right out the passenger window!  So I quickly rolled down the window, turned my camera on, and got just one photo before the light turned green.  Also lucky that my camera settings from yesterday were exactly right, because I didn't have time to make any adjustments!  I pretty much knew this would be the photo I'd go with today, so it could have been a Chased by the Light day, but I did practice with the camera some more after that.  I have to admit, I do feel a little flighty; one bird shows up out my window, and my form over subject matter project is tossed aside without a thought!  But that's because this is my first egret photograph success!  I'm considering working up a business card for my blog.  I don't think I'll use this photo, but compositionally it's the type of photo I need.  Plenty of open space in the center for my website info :)  f/4 at 1/1000, ISO200, 185mm.

No comments: