Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Canon School

Driving around the Capay Valley for the almond festival last weekend, we stopped to check out this inviting little schoolhouse along Highway 16 between Brooks and Guinda.  The gate was open, and the schoolhouse door was open (in an "off the hinges" sort of way).  The schoolhouse seemed in fairly good shape, and maybe getting some renovation.  I hope so; schoolhouses like these offer wonderful local history!  Painted on the side of the building is "Canon School District 1868."  Also in this photo, a rare sighting of Bill who is checking out a tiny out-structure.  We thought it was an outhouse, but he told me the structure protects a small pump.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was Bill. Nice to capture these rare historic buidlings. I like this school house.

This is Belgium said...

to us over here, these buildings look as special as our church in Borgloon

Doug Hickok said...

I am always fascinated by these old schools from our distant past. I like the man in red that gives your composition such nice scale! To answer your question, the mast of a shrimp boat was indeed what you saw in my reflection picture :^)