Painting is just another way of keeping a diary ~Pablo Picasso

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Indiana Dunes State Park

In yesterday's post I mentioned that Northwest Indiana has two different park systems.  The Indiana Dunes State Park is the other.  It's got a huge beach and many different trails to hike.  It also has several huge parking lots, so in the summer this beach gets very crowded, especially on the weekends when all the Illinois people come over.  Illinois didn't set aside beach early on like in Indiana, so if they want to go to the beach they come here.  On the day I took this photo, I was feeling pretty overwhelmed, and somehow things we're feeling pretty bleak for me.  I was wanting to take this sort of stark photo to reflect my mood; I think I've mentioned that I'm always happiest with photos when they convey a strong mood.  When I took the photo and saw it in the screen on the back of my camera, it just made me so happy because it completely captured my mood.  It sounds so silly, but all of a sudden I felt understood.  My camera understood me?  It was a funny thought to me even then, but I guess I felt like I had spoken and been heard. 

1 comment:

brattcat said...

yes, you've captured something that is more than the sum of its parts. it's amazing when that happens in photography or in real life.